Sunday, June 23, 2013

In Which We Take a Ridiculously Long Flight and Arrive in Korea

Well here we go. Just for the record I'm not entirely satisfied with the name of this blog and I'm open to suggestions. I mean, it's pretty good, but not quite what we were looking for. I was all "For Captain Danger And Wife," but Nancy shut that one down. Anyway, here's the first post. Follow. Comment. Share. And if enough people start following then maybe we'll put ads on it and start making money. (Just joking. But then again, why not right? ) At any rate you aren't here to read about my slight dissatisfaction with the blog title or how I want to use our readers to make money. No, you want to hear about how we sat our butts on the biggest plane I've ever been on for a ridiculous amount of time so we could cross the pacific ocean. And we did. And it seriously was a ridiculous amount of time. There was a map showing how far we had gone so far and it was just depressing, because while we were making progress it was negligible. Also, those big planes are LOUD. I could hardly hear a word Nancy said half the time. Anyway, we made it, and here's a list of things I've learned on my first day in Korea:

1. Korean airports either don't have or don't use their air conditioning. Just sayin'.
2. If I ever drive here it's going to have to be with a near perfect mix of offense and defense. Last night on the way to the hotel (read "hostel" really) where we'll be staying for our first week, I wished several times that I was wearing my seatbelt, but I'm pretty sure it was broken.
3. "Imnidah" it's something that a whole gob Of Korean words have. I don't know of it's some kind of word ending or a word or what but it gets said a lot.
4. Taxis are nicer cars than I thought they'd be.
5. Humidity really makes me sweat.
6. Church goes about the same in Korea, just everyone is speaking Korean.
7. Koreans will pronounce my name either as "Creep" (My personal favorite) or "Cuhlippa."

That's all I've got for the moment. I'll leave it at that for the day. We start work tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have something to say about that. This Is Captain Danger out.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! So what city are you guys in? and who are you with? We were going to go with a company called Chungdam, but it didn't work out. Looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting that you guys are in Korea! I'm jealous! Oh, and btw, the "imnidah" is the polite ending for just about any Korean word/phrase. Like the really informal way of saying thank you just sounds like "kamsa", but that would be really rude to say to anyone but each other, probably. So with everyone else you use "kamsanidah".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cliff, since you like being called Creep so much. I will teach the kids to call you Uncle Creep. Okay? Jayde seems to think that Tod is Tiny Tod, after she finally stopped calling him Hot Dog. So I am sure I can arrange to have her call you something to do with Creep. Maybe Captain Creep! LOL Have fun.

    ReplyDelete