Tuesday, June 25, 2013

In Which I Get Very Wet

I'll elaborate more on the title later on in the post. So we went to the hospital today. Don't worry, neither of us is sick, and I haven't had an opportunity to do anything dumb and hurt myself yet. Don't worry, I'm sure it will come. It's something that I just feel a need to do. At any rate, we were at the hospital for our medical exam. We need to get one so we can get an alien registration card, which we apparently need to do anything, like get a cell phone, get a bank account so we can get paid, buy anything big, rent a car (I think we need it for that.), etc. The hospital was really crowded, and I'm beginning to see a pattern in Korean public buildings. They definitely have air conditioning, but they choose not to use it! It was ridiculously hot in there and I was sweating like crazy, because that's what we fat guys do. We went to the foreign section of the hospital, and the people there were really nice, but I was surprised that in the foreigner clinic, no one seemed to speak English very well. We had your general health exams, including a chest X-Ray, and an eye exam, which I'm pretty certain I beat the pants off of. So, that was an interesting experience, especially since a lot of the time the nurses/techs or whatever you call them had to mime what they wanted me to do. Kind of funny. 

Anyway, as the afternoon wore on, the weather slowly turned more and more sour, and by the time it was time to come home we had a steady rain going. It wasn't anything crazy, pretty much like a solid storm back in Utah. However, I've realized something. I'll give some background first. In the past, I've generally eschewed (How's that for a good word?) the use of umbrellas, thinking that they were pretty unnecessary, and for me in the United States, I still hold with that. However, what I've realized is that back in the US, when it's raining I walk from my house to my car, and then from my car into the store, rarely spending more than a minute out in the rain. Here, we walk everywhere, at least at this point, and so you're out in this steady rain for a while. Thus, our first stop was at the Lotte Mart (Kind of like a Wal-Mart, but it seemed a little more classy. Also, it had five floors, and moving ramps, so you can drive your shopping carts between floors! How cool is that?), which is about a block from our school, to get umbrellas. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough money right then to buy two umbrellas, so we got one and figured we'd share. However, I discovered, as I have before, that I don't really like sharing an umbrella, because I feel like I just get wet anyway because it's impossible to hold it exactly right over two people, so I just walked in the rain, and by the time we got to the restaurant where we were having dinner (We are still staying in a hotel so we have to eat out.) I was of course soaked and dripping all over everything. So, I've decided to relent and get an umbrella for myself as well. It will probably be necessary before all is said and done, and I don't really like dripping all over the table at restaurants, as it tends to make me look like a dipstick. I'm sure everyone who looked at me was like, "Hey, check out that dipstick foreigner who thinks he's too cool for an umbrella." That being said, I'll leave it here for the evening. This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment