Saturday, September 6, 2014

In Which We Visit a Hot Dam

Well, this post is about a week late, but it turns out that your first year teaching full-time can get pretty busy. Who knew? Anyway, for Labor Day we drove up to Las Vegas to meet Nancy's parents, who have been getting all the work done on our old Honda. It was actually in pretty rough shape, but now it runs great, and while it ended up being fairly expensive, it wasn't the arm and a leg that buying a new car would be. More like a hand and a foot, which we can live with. Anyway, the night before we met them, we met up with Tyler, one of Nancy's friends from high school who she hasn't seen in like 27 years, and his girlfriend Lauren. They were pretty cool. Here's a picture.

I'm pretty sure I need a shirt like that. And I'm totally not joking. It's a fantastic shirt.

The next morning we had breakfast with Nancy's parents and took off, but while we were up there, we visited the Hoover Dam. I've driven past it a couple times before this, and I've wanted to stop but didn't have time. I was fairly impressed. Are there going to be a lot of dam jokes in this post? I'm going to say "certainly" to that question. Anyway, I thought it was cool, and we're glad to have our car back, even if the air-con only kind of works instead of working awesome in the truck we were borrowing. This car drives much faster, and it gets awesome gas mileage. Anyway, here are the dam pictures.

Looking at the bridge from the dam parking garage.

Nancy with the dam in the background.

That's a big dam!

Me with the big dam, and I'd like to point out that not only was it big, it was a HOT DAM!
It was pretty hot out.

Pretty sick gorge and bridge.

Our dam couple picture!

Nancy with Lake Mead in the background.


This is the view from the dam bathroom.

Then we went up on the bridge, which was pretty awesome. I got this sweet picture. I really
like the green water coming out of the bottom.

Another dam couple picture. Note my awesome sunglasses.

Then we stopped at a scenic overlook of the Colorado River.


Then we were almost home and we saw this guy with a stuffed dog in the back of his truck.

Dashboard shot!
And with that, the Chandlers have documented yet another adventure. School has been going well for both of us. My schedule is changing and I'm actually losing both of my fourth grade classes. I'm not overly pleased about that, but in the end it is what it is. That's about all I've got to say about at the moment. Until the next adventure! This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment